St-Takla.org  >   books  >   en  >   fr-tadros-yacoub  >   short-stories
St-Takla.org  >   books  >   en  >   fr-tadros-yacoub  >   short-stories

Christian Library | Full Free Coptic Books | Orthodox Library

Short Stories (Stories for the Youth), book by Father Tadros Yacoub Malaty

352- The Golden Coin

 

 John talked with the Sunday school children in St. Mark church about the importance of taking care of our poor brethren. After discussing the matter, they decided to dedicate part of the alms for the poor families. Each one of them promised to save twenty-five cents of their pocket money for the poor. On the following week, during their meeting, Stephen threw twenty-five cents in the alms box but with indifference. John saw an angel, standing beside the alms box, who commented on Stephen’s behavior, “This coin, Indifference, is of tin; it has no value on the scales of God.”

Mark threw twenty-five cents saying to himself in bitterness, “It’s a duty to deprive myself of something and present it to God.”

St-Takla.org Image: Distribution of loaves to the poor, painting by Vinckboons David, first half of 17th century, oil on panel, Height: 28 cm (11″); Width: 45 cm (17.7″), Rockox House, Antwerp, Belgium صورة في موقع الأنبا تكلا: لوحة توزيع الخبز على الفقراء، رسم الفنان فينكبونز دافيد، النصف الأول من القرن 17، بمقاس 28×45 سم.، منزل روكوكس، أنتويرب، بلجيكا.

St-Takla.org Image: Distribution of loaves to the poor, painting by Vinckboons David, first half of 17th century, oil on panel, Height: 28 cm (11″); Width: 45 cm (17.7″), Rockox House, Antwerp, Belgium

صورة في موقع الأنبا تكلا: لوحة توزيع الخبز على الفقراء، رسم الفنان فينكبونز دافيد، النصف الأول من القرن 17، بمقاس 28×45 سم.، منزل روكوكس، أنتويرب، بلجيكا.

The angel commented, “This coin, compulsion without love, is of iron. It also has no value on the scales of God.”

Sam threw twenty-five cents with his eyes wondering here and there to make sure that all people saw him.

The angel commented, “This coin, vainglory, is of brass that glitters like gold. It also has no value on the scales of God.”

George did the same but his heart was groaning for the poor and the needy, saying to himself, “Poor are those who don’t have convenient food or shelter. They live miserably while we live in luxury.”

The angel’s comment was, “This coin, pity, is of silver. It’s acceptable and valuable in the sight of God.”

Then Luke put twenty-five cents into the box while saying, “Lord, I don’t deserve to present you a little of what You gave me. You gave me Your soul. Accept my heart before accepting my money. You’re mine and I’m Yours, O my Beloved.”

The angel rejoiced and said, “This coin, extreme love, is of gold. It’s invaluable for God, the source of love.”

→ English translation of the story here at St-Takla.org: العُملة الذهبية.

St-Takla.org Divider

I see You, the Creator, putting forth Your hands.

With Your love, You desire me to present to You of what You gave me.

I do not deserve to present something to the Creator of the universe.

Uproot laziness and indifference from me,

Take away from me the feelings of compulsion.

Grant me not to be deceived by the praise of people,

But with my love to my brethren, I love You O the lover of all.

Beside You I see no one; then I will meet You while dealing with the needy.


Bible | Daily Readings | Agbeya | Books | Lyrics | Gallery | Media | Links

https://st-takla.org/books/en/fr-tadros-yacoub/short-stories/0352-coin.html

Short URL (link):
tak.la/h9byb4a